GOMURC is embarking on a new diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiative to enhance the production of underrepresented minority (URM) PhD’s in the geosciences. While individual member institutions are each working on their own DEI plans, given the magnitude of the challenges in these fields of study, the GOMURC members feel that additional synergies may be accomplished by working together.
An initial step in this collaboration is a virtual workshop on January 28, 2021 to refine the concept. To foster discussion, attendance will be open for the plenary, and limited to approximately 50 invitees during breakout sessions. Outputs include: shared DEI plans/best practices, ways GOMURC may help to improve DEI in the geosciences, and suggested funding mechanisms for this initiative.
If you are interested in viewing plenary session, please register using the following link: https://southalabama.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJErce2opjspH9VQoLWpTqIELdQ-RrpYcKUf
Plenary (2-5pm ET):
* Overview of the Initiative and Workshop Goals, Dr. Chris D’Elia, Professor & Dean, LSU College of the Coast & Environment and Chair, GOMURC
* LS-PAC MODELS Center: Mentoring Underrepresented Students in STEM, Dr. Isiah Warner, Vice President for Strategic Initiatives, Boyd Professor, Philip W. West Professor Analytical & Environmental Chemistry, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Professor, LSU
* Improving the pipeline and interactions among HBCUs and other GOMURC Universities, Dr. Larry Robinson, President, Florida A&M University
* Bridge to the Doctorate Endowment, Dr. Peter Betzer, Dean Emeritus, College of Marine Science, University of South Florida
* Perspectives from Current and Former Bridge to Doctorate Students, April Ellis, PhD student, USF College of Marine Sciences; Dr. Nekesha Williams, c, St. Mary’s College of California
REPORT: To be posted following the workshop.